Over 35 Shield Final

PMB Construction Cup and Shield over 35 Finals Shield Final

Clonaslee 1 Gallen United 1 Gallen won 5-4 on penalties.

Gallen Utd Captain Sean Cullinan receives the Cup


FIRST HALF. The shield final was a very close game with both defences very strong and chances for both sides very few. Clonaslee started the brighter and gained a foothold in midfield with Aidan Phelan having the first chance from a header on 9 mins. Jimmy Breen the Clonaslee keeper was then called into action first stopping a shot from Steve Hardie and then catching a dipping cross from Kieran Gavin. Clonaslee then had shots from Dermot Kelly and Brian Flannery on 14 and 16 mins before a tremendous headed goal line clearance at the other end by Declan Callaghan denied Gallens Fergal McGuire the games opening goal.

SECOND HALF. The second half started with Gallen putting on the pressure with shots from Steve Hardie and Martin Healy on 36 and 39 mins, Clonaslee responded with a header from Kelly and a pass from Sean Flynn set up Joe Conroy who shot just wide. As the game went on Gallen gained parity in midfield but found the Laois defence resolute. Shane Molloy with a free kick on 53 and a header from Sean Flynn on 56 were Clonaslee next efforts. The last 9 mins of normal time saw Gallen on top and it took 3 tremendous saves from Jimmy Breen to keep his side level.

EXTRA TIME . Normal time up on to extra time and the deadlock was broken when Brian Flannerys long range shot found the corner of the net 5 mins into the first period. Gallen went more direct but found Kevin O Riordan in great form at the heart of the opposing defence.

Into the second half of extra time and Clonaslee were coping with what was thrown at them until with 3 mins left Joe Sheerran got onto a Fergal McGuire cross to equalise.

PENALTY SHOOT-OUT. Onto the spot kicks wit both scoring 3 out of the first 5 , both scored the first sudden death Clonaslee missed and keeper Adrian Lynam stepped up to score and win the shield for Gallen.